• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sub-Thread: Tires

Roy/Bones:

Can you guys let me know exactly what HF items you have to comprise this No Mar changer set up? I may just buy this gear myself seeing as how I am at least looking at 1 set a year.

Phil

Roy/Bones:

Can you guys let me know exactly what HF items you have to comprise this No Mar changer set up? I may just buy this gear myself seeing as how I am at least looking at 1 set a year.

Phil

This is the tp part of the Harbor Freight setup, there is a base that I could not locate right off. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42927

Here is the high dollar no mar http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

We only have the no mar bar, 3 spoons and two clamps but it all works really well. The Harbor Freight mount has to have some rubber attached to its clamps or it will scratch a wheel. We have that figured out with rubber tubing over the clamp portion. I have used both the complete no mar and the HF setup of ours and they both work similar with little effort.

They both need to be bolted to concrete to be effective.

I have yet to buy the stuff yet, but plan to soon. I used the HF changer on DS tires at a friends once. Might just buy the no mar stuff and use his for beer and conversation. I have old tube from the KLR we can wrap on the changer to help prevent wheel maring

It's tire time again. My current AV56 Storm ST that went into service October 1st is at 6400 miles and for whatever reason, it's clear that it is not going to make it to the 7500 mile mark as the last 3 Avon's have done. Anyway, Motorcycle Pro Shop still seems to have the best price on Avon, 129.00 including shipping.:rider:

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=0302-0120

Zowee!! I ordered that sucker Monday and it hit here Yesterday! :thumb:

I watched the No-Mar guys do a few tires at the motorcycle show that was here a couple of months ago. Slick and quick for sure. I'm trying to convince the group of guys that I ride with to split the cost on a set.

this weeks cycle news, had a write up on the pirelli diablo rosso tires, and they liked them too, saying they are a step ahead of previous pirelli offer.

looks like i found the tire to buy, when michelin pilot road wear out.

Very happy with the Conti RoadAttacks. I'm at about 5,500mi or so now, so I've put about 1,600mi on them. They grip well, hold pressure very well, I haven't had to add air in about 3 weeks, and look cool as a bonus. They seem to be wearing better than the Dunlops, I hope to get twice the mileage or better from these.

Well, commuting kills another tire. I'm at about 9,500mi on the Bandit now, so that means the RoadAttacks lasted me right around 6,000mi. The sides still have quite a bit of meat on them, but the middle is almost smooth. I could probably get another 500-1000mi on them, but I've got a 1,000mi trip coming up where I'll be loaded down and 2-up so I'll be changing it sometime next week.

Loved the tire, great grip, more than I need for my sedate riding, just wish I could find something that'll last a little longer. So, I'm going to try something else. I'm looking at:

Pilot Road2 - $$$, $200 :eek:, but should last longer.

Avon Storm - $155 or so, sounds like it won't last much longer than the RA.

Shinko Raven 009 - < $100. Cheap, cheap, and cheap. But I can't find many reviews as to how many miles to expect out of one.

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Road2 a whirl, maybe a Shinko next time. I wish I could find a really high-mileage tire to try and take it easy on, like the Metzler ME880, but nothing like that comes in a 180/55/17...

Miles/Dollar, I'd need the $200 Road2 to last me 8,600mi to match the value of the RoadAttack, which is cheap, only $140. The Shinko would only need to last 4,300mi though...

Anyone have suggestions for a tire I haven't looked at?

I'll take a cell phone pic at lunch to show what the RoadAttack looks like after 6,000mi or commuting and riding around in the Hill Country.

trey

6000 is not bad at all IMO. I would not be complaining on the cost per mile.

I am going to stick with pilot powers or go with BT021's. I do not ride hard or lay it down in corners, so the PP's are not really needed, but I can get them locally for $150 usually.

6000 is not bad at all IMO. I would not be complaining on the cost per mile.

I'm not complaining, just on the quest for the perfect tire... Anything beats the 3,800 I got on the stock Dunlops, I was complaining then...

I'm sure the Shinkos aren't the perfect tire, but I ordered up a Raven for $80. It's half the price of the Road2, so we'll see what happens. I figure with my trip coming up, I'd rather flat spot a $80 tire being loaded down w/ a passenger in W. Texas....

Here's an awful cell phone pic of the RoadAttack:

tire.jpg

You can see how there's almost no tread left in the middle but plenty on the sides... I'll get a better pic soon.

trey

Let us know how the Shincko's do. Very curious, especially if you get into some rain.

My bandit has 2700 miles on it and the rear is close to dead. Maybe 1000 left. Granted I have yet to put one mile on the bike.

Many years back, 'bout the time Carter was trying to be President, trying to bring peace to the middle east (which obviously worked), and simultaneously "lusting after women", I ordered a set of Chen Shin tires from JCW for my Honda Hawk because they were half the price for the big name tires. BIGGEST DANG MISTAKE EVER outside of not buying Microsoft stock 20 years ago!!!!! They were hard, they vibrated, and they sucked in the rain. I cheaped out on tires - never again.

I am planning on installing the Avon Storm ST's in April......they are sitting on the garage staring longingly at the bike....

I will wear out the stock tire at 4000 miles. The front could go 8000 miles for sure, but I will replace them both to get a matched pair.

I ran cheap tires on my KLR all the time and when I went to Dunlops and maxis, they wore like crap and IMO were junk. Granted they were knobbies. but Kenda 270's wore like iron and were at least decent on wet since they had sipping.

Point is, that's not a fair blanket statement. especially since yours is coming from the late 70's, early 80's.

granted on a performance bike I am inclined to lean away from cheaper tires since I will go faster on this than the KLR, but I still rode 20K mile in 2 years on the KLR and a ton of that was on slab with cheap *** tires, 70-75 mph on the interstates.

True it was 20+ years ago - but for another $150 difference max for the set, it's comforting knowing I have "really good stuff" on that little patch of rubber between me and the painful pavement.

My current Storm (3rd Avon rear tire) must have worn excessively when I picked up a nail on my way home from the hill country last October. It had to be losing air for close to 100 miles before it got the plug.
1518723533_60fdcdf0b8_o.jpg

After spending some time on the phone with Avon tech support,( 800-624-7470 ) I chose the stickier AV59 Viper Sport up front. I got 12k out of the 1st one and I'm at 10k on the 2nd. I really like the Viper / Storm combination.:thumb:

Well Avon #4 has been on the rear for about a month and doing fine. #3 still handled ok at 6600mi but was losing stopping power :eek2: so I switched it out. My AV59 Viper Sport up front has almost 13k now and still has good tread but is scalloping (which is normal and unavoidable) and beginning to vibrate a little. I still like the Viper / Storm combo so I ordered another one today. The Viper is W(168mph) speed rated and has more dry stickum than the Z(149mph) rated Storm and is good in the wet too. Nevermind all that . . . . . . . . . it was CHEAPER!

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=0301-0047

I still like my Michelins :mrgreen:

Pilot powers on the Bandit are amazing just like they are on every other motorcycle:lol2: about 4k on the rear give or take a few smiles. Big torque to play you must pay;-)

I still like my Michelins :mrgreen:

Pilot powers on the Bandit are amazing just like they are on every other motorcycle:lol2: about 4k on the rear give or take a few smiles. Big torque to play you must pay;-)

If I lived in Sunny SoCal or only rode my bike to chase the twisties, I'd agree with you, but that's just not the case... I do around 600mi of commuting every month, and even on weekend trips to go play in the twisty stuff, this is Texas... you have to ride 100mi of straight stuff for every 20mi of twisty stuff it seems, even out here in the Hill Country...

My research on these Shinkos hasn't turned up anyone saying they're bad or unsafe except those like you, Phil. It's usually a case of, "I tried cheap tires 10+ years ago, and they were awful." And they probably were really awful 20 years ago... I bet even *good* tires from 20 years ago would be pretty bad today...

My line of thinking is, these are probably just fine, they just aren't the latest and greatest tech.. probably equivalent to something from 5 years ago, maybe not, maybe they're better, maybe worse...

I've run across a couple reports of them not lasting as long as a name brand, but that's it. They are apparently copies of Yokohama's molds and compounds, I guess Yok sold them the rights when they got out of the motorcycle tire game...

We'll see. For $82, if it flat spots, or is hard as a rock, it'll be ok for my trip out to W Texas... I'm riding out there w/ 2 Ultra Classics and a Goldwing Trike so... it won't be too agressive :yawn:

When I get back I can give the Road2 a try if that's the case. But the Road2 was $165, 2x the price of the Shinko, so I'll give it a whirl...

trey

I do miss the longevity of the old V-Strom rubber.

I used to commute to work until Sept. 14, 2005 when a women in a minivan decided to take a left hand turn into me. I spent the next 6 weeks recovering from a severelly broken right hand, broken left foot, lower back contusion, grade III concussion and a severelly lacerated left middle finger I almost lost. Surgery was required on my right hand. Total bill was $30k in medical, totalled V-Strom 1000 and it ended up taking 15 months, had to hire an attorney to settle the obvious case, she hit me, failure to yield right of way. I am lucky to be here PERIOD! I flew 30+ feet over the front of the minivan head 1st into the pavement, helmet and gear saved my life. I some how lifted my left leg before impact (I don't remember anything that morning) or it would be gone right now. The V-strom took a direct hit from the side, engine was busted almost out of the frame the van was knocked out at the radiator. I must have seen her at the last minute since I did attempt to swerve. Witnesses thought I was dead for sure. I came too sitting up in the middle of the road, paramedic, policeman and her screaming. That ended my commuting to work. When gas gets to $8 bucks a gallon and some of these 4 ton giants get off the road only then will I consider a return to riding to work. People drive crazy these days too many distractions at the wheel. Life can be snuffed out in an instant because of one mindless idiot.

sorry about the rant....

My limited exp. in texas were the roads were murder on tires. Unsure why, heard the same thing about Montana.

I'm not complaining, just on the quest for the perfect tire... Anything beats the 3,800 I got on the stock Dunlops, I was complaining then...

I'm sure the Shinkos aren't the perfect tire, but I ordered up a Raven for $80. It's half the price of the Road2, so we'll see what happens. I figure with my trip coming up, I'd rather flat spot a $80 tire being loaded down w/ a passenger in W. Texas....

trey

Shinko's huh . . . . . .

Hey that's the way it works - somebody (this time you get to be the guinea pig) musters up the gonads to take a chance and try something different. If it works you're a hero and everybody jumps on the band wagon. If it doesn't you endure countless "I told you so's".

GOOD LUCK:thumb:

Keep us posted.

BTW: My cost per mile averaged over the last 3 Avon rear tires is 1.8 cents. The last 2 Vipers up front cost me .72 cents per mile.:trust:

Shinko's huh . . . . . .

Hey that's the way it works - somebody (this time you get to be the guinea pig) musters up the gonads to take a chance and try something different. If it works you're a hero and everybody jumps on the band wagon. If it doesn't you endure countless "I told you so's".

GOOD LUCK:thumb:

Keep us posted.

BTW: My cost per mile averaged over the last 3 Avon rear tires is 1.8 cents. The last 2 Vipers up front cost me .72 cents per mile.:trust:

I'll definitely keep everyone posted. The tire is getting mounted on Monday, so I'll have some kind of initial review by mid-week. I'll start a new thread so this doesn't turn into MegaThread Part Duex... :lol2:

Also, FWIW, the RoadAttack may have me to blame for some of it's quick wear towards the end. I'd commented before how well these tires were holding air, so I got kind of lax about checking my pressures. I was still doing it every week, week and a half max though.

Well, admittedly, I didn't check my pressures before I ran around 400+mi last weekend to the Pie Run and other places. When I checked it yesterday, it was down to 33psi... I have been running it at 42-44psi so.....

Checked it again at lunch and it was down a couple psi from when I put air in it yesterday. It must have a slow leak somewhere, nothing obvious (nail, screw), but I'm not going to mess w/ trying to find a tiny puncture and plugging it (it already has one plug in it), since I'm getting the new tire mounted Monday. I'll just keep checking my pressure everyday for the next few days.

I don't know if I picked something up in it on the way to the Pie Run or before, or what. I don't know how long I ran w/ it a little low, but it might explain why two weeks ago I thought the tread was looking pretty deep and then all of a sudden it seemed like it was looking pretty ragged.

My bad, RoadAttack. :doh:

I'll get back into my groove of checking my pressures every few days again w/ the Shinko. Better safe than sorry.

trey

as suggested by this list, i popped the big bucks for the dual compound front.

Cool! Let us know what you think. My front Conti is not long for this world either, I think I'm going to replace it w/ a Road2... as much as I like to be adventurous, I can't cheap out on a front tire.

You said you were on your 3rd Pilot Road front at 10k mi, or your 3rd tire? How many miles did you get out of each?

trey

well, this will be my 4th front tire since new.
at 2493 i got Bridgestone BT-021 both front and rear.
at 6200 i put pilot road front.
now at 10,170 mi in 8 months, i have for it a new pilot road 2. thats about 3900 on the 3rd front tire.
which is above average for all 3.
i still have good tread on the third rear tire a pilot road, for some reason, the fronts wear out first, always on the sides in a 'V'.
heres hoping the next time i need a front, the back will still be hanging in there, and i will get pirelli diablo rosso as a pair.

now everyone tells me, they get 8-10k out of their tires, and how i must ride wrong, or have my tires underinflated, or my wheels are out of alignment, or there are big silver discs landing in the feilds over the hill from my house, but i think i am just hard on tires.

some have called lake hughes road, the "cheezegrader" because of its bumpy texture, tight uphill turns and its many zigs and zags. some use it to set up suspension, because its got uneven texture, bumps, chatter, grooves, gee-outs, and irregular surface grip. to me its just a road. its not a freeway.

every now and then coming home, i run across some other bike rider, and they fall into 2 types.
one seems to have stopped in the middle of the road, or traveling 5-10 mph (harlee conch and fringe crowd), and the other is often either going my speed with me, or the other way, true sportbikes really leave me in the dust. its a humbling experience to shoot up the short straights at 110 or more trying to keep 85-90 in the turns, only to be left thinking my bike has popped out of gear, when it hasn't.

did i mention i really like my suzuki GSF 1250. of course i wish it had less weight, and more hp.
side note is i bought rear brake pads too, as they are looking thin.

nothing like new rubber and fresh pads to make one want to ride again.

img0373sl8.jpg

img0374ce1.jpg

I found a set of BT-21's for $225 shipped, so I think that is what I will try before my trip to Alabama mid April

Back