• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

Steve,

Thats some funny stuff man^^^

We were gone exactly 8 days. Scheduled for 10 but the weather in dfw area brought some of us home early.

About kitchen passes, my wife practically begs me to go:doh: . Im not sure if that is a good thing.

XR650Rocketman said:
Maybe a little clarification is needed there Tim.....Teeds has had several great wives, currently his first ex-wife is his partner.

Yea, thats what I meant:lol2:

XR650Rocketman said:
Maybe a little clarification is needed there Tim.....Teeds has had several great wives, currently his first ex-wife is his partner.

Several ... is three more or less than several?

Hee Hee ... Suzy is far more than a partner ... the mother of our my twins ... confidant ... best friend comes to mind.

I have a blank copy of a kitchen pass that I just copy when I need to get away ... as I am the one that approves the requests, it is easier.

I have a special pass to use when I want to buy a new bike. I am gonna pull that baby out and use it in the next few weeks ...

I need to wrap up my conclusions ...

Just curious if any of you guys have any knowledge of going from Batopilas out of the canyon and directly to Urique as opposed to going back to Creel and down to San Rafael and then the dirt road to Urique.
I heard there was a way to do it but I'm not sure I want ot handle a road more thrilling than the way down to Batopilas. I'm wondering if it is at least a sort of maintained road with no loose boulders or deep water crossings.
We are thinking of riding it in late February. Thanks in advance.

Call Cesar at Margaritas he is full of information. But to answer your question, yes you can go from Batopilas to Urique according to people that have done it. Some say it is part animal trail. We could not do it because my group had no map for that section and we were told the river was too high. Next time we will go a different part of the year when hopefully dont have to worry about the river.

stevenrosenblatt said:
Just curious if any of you guys have any knowledge of going from Batopilas out of the canyon and directly to Urique as opposed to going back to Creel and down to San Rafael and then the dirt road to Urique.
I heard there was a way to do it but I'm not sure I want ot handle a road more thrilling than the way down to Batopilas. I'm wondering if it is at least a sort of maintained road with no loose boulders or deep water crossings.

Yes there is. We did the Rosen's Rides tour in April '05. We went Creel, Batopilas, Casa Colorado, Urique, Cerocahui & back to Creel. We left Batopilas via Lost Cathedral of Satevo & were very soon on a very very rocky steep un-maintained "road". We eventually crossed the Rio Urique, 3' deep with large river rocks, before camping at Casa Colorado. The next day we went to Urique.

So, yes there is a way out of Batopilas Canyon, but it has all the wonderful things you did not want, steep claims, switch backs with loose rocks & deep water. A more thrilling way out! :eek2: :clap: :rider:

Sunday Batopilas to El Fuerte (the long way around)

We started the day realizing that Tony wasn't going to join us. I'm a bit relieved but sad he's ending his trip. He's hobbling pretty bad and I knew this was going to be one of the tougher riding days plus the route is completely unknown. But this gives us an excuse to come back!

When I began planning this trip, I wanted to do something a little different from the routes I've learned about from other adventuristas when heading towards the coast. Instead of taking the shorter, more westerly route to Choix, I thought a swing south would be more fun.

125075299-L.jpg

I couldn't find any info on this route and wasn't sure even if it was possible. I put faith in Bicamapas, Roji, Google Earth, and my bro-in-law cop who lives in Alamos. According to the topo, we'd be riding up and down the canyons all day. In 2 days of riding we've already had more than 27,000 feet of elevation changes. We'd easily pass this mark today.

As we finish packing the bikes, we gas up and head south to Satevo. Last time I was here we turned right at the end of town. What a big mistake that was. Nothing but volcanic rock and no one could get traction with the big GS's. This time I've learned that the road goes straight south. Off we go and find the Are-fellas taking picts of the locals. We wave and head on to Satevo.

After passing Satevo, we start the long climb up the canyon. The road wasn't that bad but a lot steeper than from Creel to Batopilas. The switchbacks are tighter too. The mantra of the day is to keep the bike on two wheels and moving at a good pace...nothing quick since there's a lot of trucks taking folks to church.

As the day progresses and the sun comes up over the horizon, it really heats up. We stop and start removing all the layers.

124013055-L.jpg

123460519-M.jpg

124013184-L.jpg

With gear now adjusted we take off. Before I forget, Tony fixes me up with the helmet cam. The camera is a slick little unit but the extra gear includimg chargers, hard drive, and all the cables is a pain. I've got a waist pack to carry most of it plus another small pack with the chargers. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with it and, thinking it was recording, was in stand-by mode...so no helmet cam. Sorry.

We've gone up and down the canyons a couple times now and are feeling pretty good. I take a slower pace at the top of one canyon to enjoy the cooler weather and let everyone catch up since there's not much dust to deal with. As we are motoring up, the road takes a slight right hander. I'm on the outside line, and I hug the edge and setup for the left turn up the next switchback, but just before the turn, half the freakin road is gone!! There's about a 6 foot wide hole that's deep enough for someone to stand in. I'm too far to the outside and didn't want to hit it sideways. I pin it and try to wheelie the bike over. Holy crap...this is gonna hurt!!

Being in cruise mode, a higher gear to keep the revs down, I barely get the front wheel up and to the other side of the hole. However, with all the extra weight on the back of the bike, the rear wheel hits the far side face of the hole. I'm standing with my butt a couple inches away from the rear bag. Needless to say, when the bike rebounds, the bag hits me hard in the butt and I get launched over the bike. I'm not talking gently either, I clear the bike by at least 8 feet. I'm not sure how I land but end up on my back and the bike comes to a stop on my feet. And then I see the worst. Here comes Ray and 300+ lbs of XR650R right at me. I flatten out and he run over the bike and then right below my knees. Arrggg!! That freakin hurt!! Ray 'mercy' crashes right after running over me. I lay there for a bit and Ian comes over to check on me. I tell him I'm okay but think I twisted my ankle. I kick my bike off of my foot and get up. Sure enough, my ankle's tweeked, right thumb and left sholder are hurting a bit too. I pop a few advil just in case. Nothing happened to the bike...or the gear. Kudos to Eric from Wolfman for making some stout gear.

124014785-O.jpg

Ray is on his feet and is appologizing. I'm half laughing and tell him he owes me a new pair of pants. I've got a rip the size of a knob on my right leg. Actually, I think Ray is hurting more than I am. He's complaining about his back and side but is moving around okay. (The next day, I find a six pack of knobby bruises on my right leg.)

124014792-O.jpg

Bill finds the missing hazard sign, piece of plastic, on the side of the road that's used to warn people of the hole. It must have been knocked or blown over. He puts it back in place to let other's know of the danger.

124014799-M.jpg

After the adrelaline slows down, we gear back up and take off. My ankle is already feeling better so I'm no worse for the wear.

The road continues to serpentine down and up the canyons. Is this ever gonna end? As we start coming down, we are treated to the view of a crystal blue river meandering its way thru a valley of green pines. Wonder how long it's gonna take to get there? Two hours later we finally reach the river on a high bridge which enters San Miguel. We decide to have lunch on the bridge which consists of powerbars, Bill's excellent jerky and water. Ray decides he needs some caffine and heads off to the town on the other side in search of a Coke.

124013779-L.jpg

124015413-M.jpg

124015750-M.jpg

After lunch we continue south. In town we get confused. There are many roads going in all directions. You never know which one is the right one. The road straight thru town may make a u-turn and head north. We keep faith in the GPS and turn down a small road but we think it's wrong. As we are trying to get our bearings, a man comes running up the hill and in good English asks us where we're going. It turns out he's the mayor and doctor of Morelos. He let's me know that there's a hotel and restaraunt in town. Good to know if we ever do this again.

We continue up and down the canyons enjoying the views. I've become one with the bike gripping the tank with my knees and working the bars around the switchbacks. We are all getting low on fuel and time. We hit Las Lajitas and I see little shack. From experience I know that's a local gas station.

124014805-M.jpg

124014814-M.jpg

ON a side note...for those of you wondering, all the little villages get their gas delivered by trucks driving down the same roads we're on.

The sun is now very low in the sky making it tricky going from the dark shadows to the sun directly in your face not giving your eyes enough time to readjust...but we head on keeping a good pace. Soon we are out of the mountains and come to a flat and wide dirt road that's straight as an arrow but with lot's of dust. We soon split into a couple groups riding side by side so to stay out of each other's dust. The GPS tells us we're about 60 Kilometers to El Fuerte. It's dark now so our speed is as fast as our lights will allow...that's about 35. We get to Tetaroba and find a large group of guys in pressed jeans and big white cowboy hats standing under one of the two street lights in town.

I pull up and ask for directions. Steve and Bill are with me so we wait till Ian and Ray catch up. As we wait, these guys try and sell us drugs...not just the smoking kind but the snorting kind as well. I can see that Bill and Steve are nervous. Soon we see Ian and Ray and get on the bikes and head off. About 1/2 hour later we reach El Fuerte.

Earlier Steve and I talk about making the 60 miles to Huatabampo. I ask Steve what he thinks and says I'll have a riot on my hands if I don't get us to a hotel quick. So we take off and I look for the Centro signs pointing the way to downtown. We find a nice hotel, The San Fransico, at a decent rate right on the main street in walking distance everything, plus they have a garage we can lock the bikes in.

124020676-M.jpg

As Steve and I head to get accomodations, the guys have a cold one.

124016063-M.jpg

124014825-M.jpg

That night we head to Gaby's, I think that's the name, and have an excellent dinner of beer, tortilla soup and fish tacos. We're only 60 miles from the beach so we figure the fish would be fresh and it was.

124014837-M.jpg

Today was AWESOME!! Even after getting run over, the riding and scenery were beyond compare. It was a long day, over 10 hours with an average speed of 17 mph. Now that we know the route, I'd suggest splitting the day in two and staying in Morelos.

Tomorrow we head to Huatabambo. The route takes us north a bit around the lakes before turning thru the farmlands to the coast. I don't expect any mountain crossings tomorrow so the ride should be easy. What we find is something more difficult!

Hey Irondawg, I tried to find the places you mentioned on your map but most of them I didn't find like Morelos where you say you would split the day and there was a motel.
As to the two halves before and after Morelos is is safe to assume there are no deep water crossings in late February. I get the impression that a good sized truck like a pickup can run these roads from your writeup. What concerns me are long steep runs up or downhill on loose rocks big or small with a switchback in the loose rock section. Is there any or a lot of that?

How do you get back to Creel from El Fuerte. Is the train an option? Is it paved for part of the way and do you know what the road back to Creel from El Fuerte is like when the pavement ends. How long is the ride do you figure from El Fuerte to Creel.
You mention a shorter westerly route from Batopilas toward El Fuerte, is this the route the Rosen's ride takes or yet some other one?
Did GPS help much? Did you see enough Spanish speaking locals on these mountain roads for confirming directions?
I figure we might have 5 days for a loop from Creel. I'm only moderately skilled offroad and have ridden some rocky passes around Silverton CO. What is a realistic loop for that time frame and skill level? Steve

A "mercy crash". I like that.

The restaurant in El Fuerte was General Meson, or something like that. Gaby's was in Temoris.

I see you've got some of my pics incorporated into the report. Found out today that my wife didn't mail the disk yet, I can upload the rest if you want.

Good job on the report. Can we skip the next day, though?

stevenrosenblatt said:
Hey Irondawg, I tried to find the places you mentioned on your map but most of them I didn't find like Morelos where you say you would split the day and there was a motel.
As to the two halves before and after Morelos is is safe to assume there are no deep water crossings in late February. I get the impression that a good sized truck like a pickup can run these roads from your writeup. What concerns me are long steep runs up or downhill on loose rocks big or small with a switchback in the loose rock section. Is there any or a lot of that?

How do you get back to Creel from El Fuerte. Is the train an option? Is it paved for part of the way and do you know what the road back to Creel from El Fuerte is like when the pavement ends. How long is the ride do you figure from El Fuerte to Creel.
You mention a shorter westerly route from Batopilas toward El Fuerte, is this the route the Rosen's ride takes or yet some other one?
Did GPS help much? Did you see enough Spanish speaking locals on these mountain roads for confirming directions?
I figure we might have 5 days for a loop from Creel. I'm only moderately skilled offroad and have ridden some rocky passes around Silverton CO. What is a realistic loop for that time frame and skill level? Steve

:eek2:

Ummmm....yes. :rofl:

I'll answer all your questions later. I've got a 2 year old wanting attention now.

Hoop said:
A "mercy crash". I like that.

The restaurant in El Fuerte was General Meson, or something like that. Gaby's was in Temoris.

I see you've got some of my pics incorporated into the report. Found out today that my wife didn't mail the disk yet, I can upload the rest if you want.

Good job on the report. Can we skip the next day, though?

Ummm.....no. :trust:

irondawg said:
Sure enough, I pinch the tube. Now I'm screwed.

LOL, I feel for you John; I had the same problem in Baja, last day. Despite all the tires/tubes that I've changed with the very same tools, I pinched the new tube, borrowed Dan's tube, then pinched that one... he had to go looking for a village with a store that sold patch kits. I patched one of the pinched tubes (the valve stem had sheared off of the original tube from running flat) and was able to get it home, although I had to stop about every 1/2 hr and pump-up.

Your experience with the hole is exactly how I shattered my wrist, except I was going much faster than I should've been :doh: Of course, the trip was over for me and the bike... :rolleyes:

stevenrosenblatt said:

You'll need Roji maps or the Bicamaps for Copper Canyon to see all the pueblos.

stevenrosenblatt said:

No deep water crossings in January...don't know about Feb. It's pretty much a steep run for 170 miles. The roads can be very tricky, some places it's hard packed dirt, other places in crushed granite that's slick and will throw you down if not careful with brakes and power.

stevenrosenblatt said:

In a nutshell....

Wait for the next report. Yes, there is a train. There's pavement on the shorter route for 75 miles or so...get yourself some maps. GPS helped. Yes...most of the locals spoke spanish (go figure ;-) ) the trick to getting directions is not to ask where a town is 50 miles away. Ask where the next town on the route is that's the closest.

If you've got 5 days. Stay in Creel and make day trips from there to Batopilas/Satevo, Divisidero, Urique, and Bassarichic Falls. I wouldn't go south from there. With moderate skill, I would skip going from Urique to Batopilas, or Temoris or El Fuerte.

Anymore questions? XR650Rocketman would be glad to answer them...:mrgreen:

Sound like you had a bigger disaster than Teeds and I...more trip report, por favor...

On a related subject, it seems that everyone agrees any return trip would involve hauling the bikes to Creel, and riding from there. I've just found a tidbit on Advriders that says you may not have import permits for more than 1 vehicle at a time. The obvious question is "how does one take a truck and a motorcyle into Mexico if you are only allowed 1 permit per person???"

skinny said:
Sound like you had a bigger disaster than Teeds and I...more trip report, por favor...

On a related subject, it seems that everyone agrees any return trip would involve hauling the bikes to Creel, and riding from there. I've just found a tidbit on Advriders that says you may not have import permits for more than 1 vehicle at a time. The obvious question is "how does one take a truck and a motorcyle into Mexico if you are only allowed 1 permit per person???"

I would call it a 1 in 4 million chance that a sprocket nut could defy physics and end up where it did. I'll explain in up-coming reports.

Yes. There are many complications when trailering bikes from US to MEX. I've never attempted to do it. But I would like to learn how. I didn't want to try on this trip. Maybe another where it's a weekend thing and if we can't do it, we ride the Lost Trail and Big Bend.

skinny said:

Skinny

We inquired with bajicerto when we left the country. The guy said you need a title and a transport in your name. We said can 1 guy bring a truck,a trailer, and a bike. Yes you will need a title for each one with the VIN matching in your name and you can do it. Can another person put their bike in that truck or on that trailer. yes if the other person has a title and it is in their name. can you bring a dirt bike or atv. yes it if you have a title and it is in that persons name.......

Mike Green

billyji said:
Skinny

We inquired with bajicerto when we left the country. The guy said you need a title and a transport in your name. We said can 1 guy bring a truck,a trailer, and a bike. Yes you will need a title for each one with the VIN matching in your name and you can do it. Can another person put their bike in that truck or on that trailer. yes if the other person has a title and it is in their name. can you bring a dirt bike or atv. yes it if you have a title and it is in that persons name.......

Mike Green

Do Texas trailers even have a VIN or a title or will they simply use a registration and match it to a plate number on the trailer.
I only live in TX part time so pardon me if this is a stupid question. It is a factor for us as we intend to trailer to Creel and ride a loop from there.

It's not that there isn't a way to do it. I'm more worried about the actual people at the border crossing who do the paperwork. If all the vehicle paperwork can be done prior to crossing the border that'd solve a lot of problems. I can't remember if Banjercito does trailer paperwork or not.

billyji said:
Skinny

Mike Green

If I understand you correctly, a vehicle import permit is required for the pick-up and only a title (without import permit) is required for any motorcycles that are hauled...

skinny said:
If I understand you correctly, a vehicle import permit is required for the pick-up and only a title (without import permit) is required for any motorcycles that are hauled...

Thats it. But as John as said who knows when you are standing there

Mike Green

Last edited:
irondawg said:
It's not that there isn't a way to do it. I'm more worried about the actual people at the border crossing who do the paperwork. If all the vehicle paperwork can be done prior to crossing the border that'd solve a lot of problems. I can't remember if Banjercito does trailer paperwork or not.

Yes, after our aborted attempt to get tourist visas, it's obvious that incompetence and laziness are still a major hurdle...

Back