• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Week in Colorado

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Morgan
I was recently notified of an unscheduled week off by my employer in mid July and was thinking that it would be a perfect time to take my Tenere for a good long trip. I have been itching to ride in Colorado and get and altitude adjustment. I am hoping to lean on the experience, and hopefully GPX tracks for this group to fill me in on any routes, rides, and cool things to see and hopefully economical places to camp/stay. I am looking for both on and off road tracks that would be suitable for a beginner/intermediate dual sport rider.

Thanks for any tips, tricks, and advice!

At this point I am open to suggestion, I would not mind hitting some of the popular passes, but will likely be either looking for day loops from the Denver area, or multi day runs. I am trying to not limit the trip. I am thinking of trailering bike there and back and living off the bike while in CO.

Thanks for the advice!

Unless you want or need to go to Denver, I would suggest basing out of Durango, Cortez, or Alamosa, or perhaps somewhere a little more in the central area of the state. Denver, in the summers, has huge loads of traffic on any "scenic" highways near the city (really congested on the weekends). There's lots of good roads in northern New Mexico, also. Have fun, stay safe!

Okay for paved roads 550 the million dollar highway will give you a huge thrill,149 is also nice but with longer sweepers not as many 20 MPH turns. Both are musts in my book. The back road behind the Black Canyon of the Gunnison was sweet. Seems like there are waterfalls everywhere you turn. Scenery like nothing here in Texas. Give yourself time to snap a few pics for the crew. Gunnison if moteling stay at the Long Holiday Motel. Eat at the "W" cafe for breakfast, Lunch at the Gunnisack and dinner across the street at the Ole miner steakhouse. In Montrose the Red Barn for steaks also. The Black canyon itself is breath taking.

On the way from Dallas make your way to Las Vegas,NM then head north to 518,next 434 to loop 38 over and around then 64 to Chama,NM. Spend the night at the Branding Iron Motel eat at High Country. There is a scenic train ride you can do in Chama called the Cumbres and Toltec railway. Then from Chama cross over towards Pagosa Springs on 84. 160 to South Fork,149 all the way to 50. Spend the night at the Long Holiday in Gunnison. Next head west to Montrose then down 550 to Durango. 160 out of Durango ain't half bad either. Dirt work will have to be handled by others.

Train ride thread if interested.
http://www.google.com/url?url=http:...ggVMAA&usg=AFQjCNH_wq6emubidGIZI4jyHFvDWGcu5g

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with trailering the bike there and back, being able to not have to ride for a day in the Texas heat will make riding in Colorado perfect. Myself I would do a big loop, start in Trinidad to Durango, Durango to Montrose by way of Silverton and Ouray, Montrose to Buena Vista, Buena Vista to Leadville, and from Leadville I would work my way back to Trinidad and pickup the vehicle and trailer. Other option would just go to Durango and ride out of there each day, so many different ways to go and you are in the heart of the Rockies.

trainman

Last edited:
I will probably mostly camp with a few hotel nights for showers and proper recovery. I am thinking maybe a different national forest every night or something to that effect. My goal is to explore and see as much as I can from 2 wheels.

I will probably mostly camp with a few hotel nights for showers and proper recovery. I am thinking maybe a different national forest every night or something to that effect. My goal is to explore and see as much as I can from 2 wheels.

Hope the three Colorado threads helped somewhat? Colorado and Northen New Mexico is so scenic that you could spend more time taking pictures than riding if your not careful.:photo:

Here are some routes I used last year and earlier this year. I live in Houston so they are obviously not quite what you need, but I used the Motorcycling Colorado book to plan much of the trip and created the routes myself. The reason it was a two part trip was that I crashed out and broke my leg on the dirt road between Bailey and Deckers close to the end of the third file. So, I flew back up last month and got my bike and finished the rest of the routes. Just for reference I was also on a Tenere.

Attachments

• Colorado 1.gpx
    703 KB · Views: 188
  • Colorado 2.gpx
    729.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Colorado 3.gpx
    731.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Colorado 4.gpx
    434.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Colorado 5.gpx
    599 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
"take my Tenere for a good long trip. suitable for a beginner/intermediate dual sport rider."

Look closely at your maps and understand that "road" has wide meanings up there. One of the most scenic trails in the state runs from Crested Butte down to Marble. It's mostly a nice gravel road until you reach the Devil's Punchbowl. Taking a bigger bike down it would be a real challenge for me and likely expensive, too. Have several alternatives planned for this kind of situation... it ain't that uncommon.

Butler Maps is your best friend

they offer maps for both on & off road

the on road also has a guide book to accompany it

get both maps & the book

then listen to what KP is talking about

IMHO southwestern Colorado(below I-70 & west of I-25) & northern New Mexico(north of US 380) will provide way more opportunities than you can do justice to in an entire summer AND stay away from the Denver/Colorado Springs area due to serious crowding...

and while i have your attention, don't make your plans based on MILES, because you can't make as many miles up there in any given amount of time as you can down here

HAVE FUN & SHINY SIDE UP

sw

Last edited:
Another note if your a beginner like you stated in the first post. 550 can be intimidating for some. Even for drivers not just riders. When Tim and I went we saw a group of cruisers some with death grips on the bars. You could tell by their stance that they were out of their comfort zone. Also you have to watch for tourists. Driving extra slow snapping pictures from their cars instead of pulling over like we do. It can get frustrating when they are not paying attention to anything but the camera. It is easier on many going south to north on 550. If you have not been to Colorado before if you look in many of the pictures there are NO guard rails in alot of spots. Ride safe the roads are way way more twisty than any map can show you. KP

:tab If you plan to ride the whole way, I would head for Cloudcroft on day one. It will be much nicer camping if you are at altitude. There are tons of places to camp around Cloudcroft. From there, I would head up into Northern New Mexico, into the general area around Taos. Again, cooler camping at altitude. From there I would start a loop running up through Chama, Pagosa Springs, South Fork, Creede, Lake City, Gunnison, Over Kebler Pass to Co 133, down 133 to CO 65, up 65 over the Grand Mesa to I-70, I-70 West to Fruita (just past Grand Junction), down through the Colorado National Monument back into Grand Junction, US 50 South to CO 141, 141 all the way down to CO 145, then Co 62 to Ridgway, US 550 South to Durango, and then start back tracking through NM and Texas.

:tab Attached is a base route just over 2500 miles in length. It is mostly pavement following what I described above. There are places along the way where you can do some relatively mild dirt (graded gravel). If you are not experienced at riding a big bike off road, I would stick with the easy stuff just for safety. This assumes nine days of riding, leave Saturday morning and return Sunday evening a week later. You be doing around 500 miles day one and the same on day nine. Those are your get out and get back through West Texas days. That leaves 7 days to do the remaining 1500 miles.

:tab When planning rides in SW Colorado, I generally plan on an average of about 40-50mph depending on how twisty the paved roads are for that day. Most often, the paved routes run from 300-350 miles and can easily be done from 9:00am to 5:00pm, which includes times for gas stops, lunch, picture stops, etc,... It does not include time for longer stops like museums, hiking, or other extended off bike activities.

:tab If you go off pavement, on the relatively mild stuff, I would plan on about 20-25 mph average. So for 100 miles, you might give yourself 4-5 hours to do it at a relaxed pace. Of course, that goes out the window if you start trying to do the more technical high passes, which I would strongly recommend against on your Tenere.

:tab One road that might be fun on the Tenere would to start just South of Lake City on Co 149 at CR 50 right at Slumgullion Pass. Run it East along Cebolla Creek to CR 27 and follow the creek North to Powderhorn at CO 149. You'll want to research current conditions, but when I last rode it, you could drive most any car down it without too much trouble. It was well graded and maintained. It is VERY scenic.

:tab Kebler Pass between Crested Butte and Co 133 should be easy on the Tenere. I've read of people doing it on Gold Wings. It drops you out at Paonia State Park, which might be a nice place to stay depending on when you arrive. You could also head NE out of Almont toward Taylor Reservoir and run Cottonwood Pass East over to Buena Vista, then head up to Co 92 and make the run West over Independence Pass to Aspen and pick up CO 133 North of there. That would add a good bit of time/miles to the overall route. Cottonwood is another easy pass with great scenery. Independence pass is a paved highway. The paved run down 133 from Carbondale to Co 65 is really nice!

:tab You could eliminate the run up through Crested Butte and instead head up to US 50 near the dam for the Blue Mesa Reservoir. You'd basically run CO 149 North out of Lake City until you reach the sharp right had turn where it generally heads East toward Powerhorn. There, you'd pick up CR 25 and run that North to US 50. It is a wide graded gravel road with cool scenery. At US 50, if you were inclined, you could run West to the main entrance of Black Canyon of the Gunnison. You will need a NP pass for this.There is also camping DOWN in the canyon near the river. Or, if you did not camp, you could visit, then run back East on US 50 to the start of CO 92, which takes you through the mountains along the North side of the canyon. It is a superb ride with great views. That would then bring you back out on CO 133 in Hotchkiss where you could resume the main route.

:tab The run over the Grand Mesa is really nice. It is all paved. There is usually minimal traffic because it is not a main artery for people getting from A to B. The temps will be cool and there may even be snow on the ground at the top in the middle of the summer. The canyon run along Plateau Creek on the North end is a real hoot as well. The short stretch of I-70 is not bad for freeway riding. The mesas around Grand Junction are kind of cool looking. Depending on your timing, you could stop at the Rockslide in Grand Junction to eat.

:tab The Colorado National Monument is a great ride and offers incredible canyon views and views looking out over Grand Junction. If you ride it, PAY ATTENTION TO THE SPEED LIMIT. It is patrolled and they have no sense of humor. Also, you don't want to be blowing any of the corners because it could be a LONG way straight down... You will need a NP pass for this.

:tab The run down CO 141 to Gateway and Naturita is one of my favorites. I just did it again a year ago in April. I like to run it South to North, but it is great either way. Just watch for the wild horses... :wary: When you reach CO 62 and turn East, you will be treated to fantastic views of the snow capped San Juan Mountains. Get gas in Ridgway. It will be cheaper than in Ouray and you will be fine getting down to Durango.

:tab US 550 between Ouray and Durango is another spectacular ride. There are few, if any, guard rails. The drops are deep if you go off the road. The scenery is incredible. If you have time, you might want to detour East at Silverton and head up into Animas Forks. It is unpaved once you get out of town, but it is easy. There is a great BBQ place in Durango right on US 550 as you come into town from the North.

Utah_0130.jpg

:tab From Durango just start working your way back East.

Attachments

• Colorado Riding Trip.gpx
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
I'll be in Lake City the week of July 4th. I'm bringing a bike, not sure which one yet, but would like to ride various COBDR sections & alpine passes. If you would like to ride along PM & a route will be made....

Dmux that sounds like fun, but I will not be leaving DFW until the 10th, Probably coming back on the 15-16th.

Another note if your a beginner like you stated in the first post. 550 can be intimidating for some. Even for drivers not just riders. When Tim and I went we saw a group of cruisers some with death grips on the bars. You could tell by their stance that they were out of their comfort zone. Also you have to watch for tourists. Driving extra slow snapping pictures from their cars instead of pulling over like we do. It can get frustrating when they are not paying attention to anything but the camera. It is easier on many going south to north on 550. If you have not been to Colorado before if you look in many of the pictures there are NO guard rails in alot of spots. Ride safe the roads are way way more twisty than any map can show you. KP

Wise advice, and depending one's fear of heights(finger pointed at me, lol) what is an easy road for some could be very intimidating to others. I pick my battles up there carefully, just got back. And heed the advice about roads being twisted, I saw 2 major accidents on 50 that is an easy road. 1 was a car over the side on Monarch Pass, we were hanging around the tram area for 2 and half hours and they still hadn't gotten the 2 passengers to the waiting Life Flight, rescue is very challenging up there, the other on 50 also was a m/c who over cooked a tight corner. His buds were with him so I didn't stop, not sure of what happened. Be careful! As KP says very few guard rails anywhere.

Wise advice, and depending one's fear of heights(finger pointed at me, lol) what is an easy road for some could be very intimidating to others. I pick my battles up there carefully, just got back. And heed the advice about roads being twisted, I saw 2 major accidents on 50 that is an easy road. 1 was a car over the side on Monarch Pass, we were hanging around the tram area for 2 and half hours and they still hadn't gotten the 2 passengers to the waiting Life Flight, rescue is very challenging up there, the other on 50 also was a m/c who over cooked a tight corner. His buds were with him so I didn't stop, not sure of what happened. Be careful! As KP says very few guard rails anywhere.

Here is a prime example more the norm than the exception.

DSCN0175-001_zpshtdljq2m.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses! Special thanks to Phillipbarret for suggesting the complete guide to motorcycling colorado! That has made my trip planning almost effortless. My plan so far is to book it to Trinidad day 1, then work my way over to Durango day 2, get a new tire in Durango tuesday morning then run the million dollar highway and the Alpine Loop for day 3. I will then work my way up northeast to the Buena Vista area day 4, then on to Denver to meeT friends for day 5. Day 6 will be working my way back down to Trinidad to pick up the truck, or the beginning of the ride home if I end up riding. I cannot wait til the 10th. I am hoping to put my Sena 10C to good use and take plenty of pics and video!

Well, if my CRF250L doesn't sell soon (the cheap one in DFW on Craigslist and here), I will likely be riding the whole way, as my truck will need new tires before I haul a bike to the mountains and I am on a budget for this run. My plan, if I take the truck, is to rent a parking spot in a storage facility. I used to work for the company who monitors Public Storage facilities, so I feel pretty secure leaving my truck there. Most charge less than 20 bucks for the week and have spots for RV's and trucks and trailers.

Well, if my CRF250L doesn't sell soon (the cheap one in DFW on Craigslist and here), I will likely be riding the whole way, as my truck will need new tires before I haul a bike to the mountains and I am on a budget for this run. My plan, if I take the truck, is to rent a parking spot in a storage facility. I used to work for the company who monitors Public Storage facilities, so I feel pretty secure leaving my truck there. Most charge less than 20 bucks for the week and have spots for RV's and trucks and trailers.

:tab On several of our trips, we trailered out to Raton, NM., and stayed at the Microtel Inn. They let us and two other folks leave vehicles and trailers in their parking lot for a week at no charge and watched out for them while we were gone. We spent the night there on arrival and the night before heading back to Texas. One guy locked his trailer to a light post, but none of us had any issues. My trailer was locked at the hitch and receiver. We simply parked out to one end of the lot under the lights.

Special thanks to Phillipbarret for suggesting the complete guide to motorcycling colorado!

Hey no worries mate!

I'm typing this in the Enchanted Grounds coffee shop in Raton, NM - think you'll be a day or so behind me.

Back