• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heading out

Along highway 70 from Quincy to Chico Ca. This Butler Map gold road lives up to all possible gold standards. It follows along a river and a railroad. Tunnels for both cars and trains. Lots of bridges, in this picture trains and cars switch sides.
IMG_20220502_125559005.jpg

Last edited:
I'm heading to a laundromat today. I'll use the wait time to catch up on phone calls to family. If it's close to laundry time and I spend the night in a motel with a bath tub, I use the grape stomp method because it saves me time. The little plastic packets of laundry detergent have made carrying detergent much easier.

Oil change in the parking lot of the laundry while I wait on machines. In Red Bluff, Ca. Heading north, but the road through Lassen Volcano National Park is closed due to snow and ice. I could go as far as the visitors center, but I was counting on hiking to the fumeroles and boiling water. I rode through the park in 2020.
IMG_20220503_092833625.jpg

Turned over 6,000 miles while I was running into town for supplies. I tried the eating breakfast and dinner in a restaurant and snacks for lunch method of eating while on a trip. It didn't work for me. I was hungry too much.

More snacks. Or denser, higher protein snacks....

Or just have lunch :)

More snacks. Or denser, higher protein snacks....

Or just have lunch :)
Jeff, the problem is being so far away from a town. This morning I woke up around 7:00, hiked down to a waterfall, came back and broke camp/loaded the bike and rode into town with 4 stops to take pictures and a chat with a man sitting on rock enjoying his favorite view of Mt. Shasta. I also talked to an elderly woman at one stop who is voluntarily living in her Sprinter van. We talked about campgrounds and she gave me a map of all state, BLM and forest service campgrounds. I made it to a restaurant at 11:30 and had enchiladas for breakfast. I was hungry.

I saw documovie about such folks recently...called Nomads. Interesting way of life.
She has a blog for wheel chair bound people or those that have problems hiking. She's been traveling from park to park to document accessibility. She sleeps in a tent because her van is so full of things she didn't want to sell when she started this mission. She's probably over 80.

"She sleeps in a tent because her van is so full of things she didn't want to sell when she started this mission. She's probably over 80."

Very tough woman. At one month shy of 75, I have to work hard to get up off the ground. Tent camping...a young person ease, old person challenge.

It's raining. I checked the forecast and it's supposed to rain through Tuesday. I measured and I'm still 5'8" so I haven't started to melt. I brought Ara and Spirit's book along to reread at night and they experienced extended times of rain with just a tent. At least I have motel money. I'll continue to ride unless it turns into a deluge. Picture frequency and quality will suffer.

Forgive me if this is off some. I know Spirit is in puppy heaven. What about Ara? Haven't heard a word in a couple years. Really enjoyed following them. "Oasis of My Soul" five stars.

"She sleeps in a tent because her van is so full of things she didn't want to sell when she started this mission. She's probably over 80."

Very tough woman. At one month shy of 75, I have to work hard to get up off the ground. Tent camping...a young person ease, old person challenge.
I'm 74. You're not old yet.;-)

I tried hwy 17, but got blocked by snow, so I took Indian Creek Road into Oregon. Lots of snow, but no blockage. The rest of the day I viewed BIG trees through a heavy rain. An electric vest is my friend.

IMG_20220506_131013809_HDR.jpg

Back