• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your two-stroke mega thread

I posted a different link to this RZ5 on the Craigslist thread last week (which is no longer any good). Meriden emailed me a different link about the same bike today, thought I'd re-post it here just for grins. :trust: In the box, this is as rare as it gets. :clap:

http://www.visordown.com/cool-motorcycles/zero-mile-still-crated-yamaha-rz500n-for-sale/24421.html

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_1_zps1491e518.jpg

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_2_zpsd35df0a3.jpg

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_8_zps68933593.jpg

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_4_zps75fa96b8.jpg

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_5_zps8b553788.jpg

zero-miles-1985-yamaha-rz500n-in-a-crate-for-sale-photo-gallery-medium_10_zps44317444.jpg

Don't let Jay Leno see this. What a rare piece of motorcycling history. Would you leave it crated up or ride it?

Don't let Jay Leno see this. What a rare piece of motorcycling history. Would you leave it crated up or ride it?

That was the question where I found it. I'd leave it as a show piece... for about three or four days. :rider:

I couldn't imagine owning a 2 stroke V4 and not riding it. Finding a suitable place to ride it would be the problem.

I'm not 100% sure you could even plate it in the US. It was never released here so the EPA regulations don't have it grandfathered in. I seem to remember people buying them in Canada and bringing them over the border as a racing bike but there were certain stipulations. For example (and I might be completely mistaken here), there was an extremely high tariff and once you got it here you could never resell it.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure you could even plate it in the US. It was never released here so the EPA regulations don't have it grandfathered in. I seem to remember people buying them in Canada and bringing them over the border as a racing bike but there were certain stipulations. For example (and I might be completely mistaken here), there was an extremely high tariff and once you got it here you could never resell it.

We aint worried 'bout no EPA here in TX. As long as it has a typical VIN or engine/frame serial numbers for its year it will be fine. Even no title is ok as you could go bonded title route. You can plate a motocross bike in TX so this bike would be a slam dunk. Just find a licensed appraiser that would be friendly to you. Surety bond at 1-1/2 times the value of $35K could be pricey and not to mention 6.25% sales tax on $35K

_

I had an RD350 (believe it was a '74 - purple) that came in a box from a guy for $50. Put it back together but was too into dirt bikes at the time and gave it to a friend. I do still have the College Station Yamaha metal license plate frame that was on it. My first real motorcycle was a '71 Yamaha HS1 90 cc twin cylinder two stroke street bike. Traded it for a basket case Bultaco that never ran right. Don't have any of those any more, but I do have:

Here's a picture of my 2001 CR500R engine in a 2002 CRF450R frame. This was just after I finished a ground up refresh. It now has a few rides on it.

left_sun2.jpg

One of my mostly stock 2001 CR500Rs. This photo is an older picture and the bike isn't as pristine as it looked then; it does get ridden.

DSC00759.jpg

And the other 2001 CR500R. It's apart right now. Bought it and planned to make a woods bike out of it. But, it is now waiting on a 2008 CRF450R aluminum frame that's being modified for the engine:

SD530616-1.jpg

In '87, I decided to get into motocross with a brand new '87 CR500R. I don't have any pictures of just the bike, but this is me racing the amateur MX race in the Astrodome back in '89. I fully admit I had no business there on that track but I did somehow end up with a 4th place out of 7 riders. I've been trying to find time to restore this one. I have it mostly broke down, but the swing arm shaft is stuck and I'm trying to figure out how to get it out. Heat, penetrating oil, and even a 12 ton press won't move it.

87CR500_6.jpg

WOW! That retro silver and green 500 is very special. Those conversions are becoming common but that one sets the bar. :thumb::thumb:

That was the question where I found it. I'd leave it as a show piece... for about three or four days. :rider:

I couldn't imagine owning a 2 stroke V4 and not riding it. Finding a suitable place to ride it would be the problem.

Can you imagine how cool it would be to ride.:pirate:

I had an RD350 (believe it was a '74 - purple) that came in a box from a guy for $50. Put it back together but was too into dirt bikes at the time and gave it to a friend. I do still have the College Station Yamaha metal license plate frame that was on it. My first real motorcycle was a '71 Yamaha HS1 90 cc twin cylinder two stroke street bike. Traded it for a basket case Bultaco that never ran right. Don't have any of those any more, but I do have:

Here's a picture of my 2001 CR500R engine in a 2002 CRF450R frame. This was just after I finished a ground up refresh. It now has a few rides on it.

left_sun2.jpg

One of my mostly stock 2001 CR500Rs. This photo is an older picture and the bike isn't as pristine as it looked then; it does get ridden.

DSC00759.jpg

And the other 2001 CR500R. It's apart right now. Bought it and planned to make a woods bike out of it. But, it is now waiting on a 2008 CRF450R aluminum frame that's being modified for the engine:

SD530616-1.jpg

In '87, I decided to get into motocross with a brand new '87 CR500R. I don't have any pictures of just the bike, but this is me racing the amateur MX race in the Astrodome back in '89. I fully admit I had no business there on that track but I did somehow end up with a 4th place out of 7 riders. I've been trying to find time to restore this one. I have it mostly broke down, but the swing arm shaft is stuck and I'm trying to figure out how to get it out. Heat, penetrating oil, and even a 12 ton press won't move it.

87CR500_6.jpg

The 500 in green... That has to be one of the most awesome bikes in existence. The restored red one is right up there as well. 500cc fire breathing two strokes rocket ships. If you need storage space for either one, consider my house as your house. lol. Scratch the "lol", I am serious!! Nice work!

I was prodded by another member to post my Kawasaki H-1 - 500 on here.
A friend told me of this sitting in a machine shop many, many years ago. I contacted the owner and stopped in. He wanted $300, after a quick compression check, hooked a battery and most everything worked I gave him $250 for it. It was covered in a fine oil mist and the tabs on the plate were 12 years old. The tires even held air. They had it running and dumped it launching it in the parking lot, shoved it in the shop to collect dust. I trailered it to a car wash, covered it in WD-40 and lightly hosed it down, it looked pretty good. After changing fluids, cleaning the carbs and flushing the tank. It started right up and ran quite well but (of course) the crank seals were bad and it would eventually stall while riding.
I dicked around with it for a few years then got serious and pulled the crank, had it split for new inner seals and generally went through the motor, gaskets, clutch plates, fork seals etc. etc. I found it had Wisco pistons and the bores/rings were fine with plenty of cross hatching in the cylinders so no honing needed. Also found the motor is a 1972 with points in a 1974 frame.
I managed to spoon some fresh rubber on it last year had the seat re-covered and added a few farkles for that "Mad Max" look and put some collector plates on it. Every time I start it the hair still stands up on the back of my neck. :sun:

H1-2013_zpse1df13e8.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UosSWS47g"]1974 Kawasaki H-1 500 Triple - YouTube[/ame]

Snow ride after engine re-assembly

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H6tSm4RTF4"]Kawasaki H-1 500 - Mach 3 - 1974 - YouTube[/ame]

I was prodded by another member to post my Kawasaki H-1 - 500 on here.
A friend told me of this sitting in a machine shop many, many years ago. I contacted the owner and stopped in. He wanted $300, after a quick compression check, hooked a battery and most everything worked I gave him $250 for it. It was covered in a fine oil mist and the tabs on the plate were 12 years old. The tires even held air. They had it running and dumped it launching it in the parking lot, shoved it in the shop to collect dust. I trailered it to a car wash, covered it in WD-40 and lightly hosed it down, it looked pretty good. After changing fluids, cleaning the carbs and flushing the tank. It started right up and ran quite well but (of course) the crank seals were bad and it would eventually stall while riding.
I dicked around with it for a few years then got serious and pulled the crank, had it split for new inner seals and generally went through the motor, gaskets, clutch plates, fork seals etc. etc. I found it had Wisco pistons and the bores/rings were fine with plenty of cross hatching in the cylinders so no honing needed. Also found the motor is a 1972 with points in a 1974 frame.
I managed to spoon some fresh rubber on it last year had the seat re-covered and added a few farkles for that "Mad Max" look and put some collector plates on it. Every time I start it the hair still stands up on the back of my neck. :sun:

H1-2013_zpse1df13e8.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

1974 Kawasaki H-1 500 Triple - YouTube

Snow ride after engine re-assembly

Kawasaki H-1 500 - Mach 3 - 1974 - YouTube

I like the ZX-5 on the tail piece.:clap: Great looking bike,it is always cool to see these older 2 strokes still spewing blue smoke. Thanks for posting her for all us to enjoy. KP

I wonder if it'll pass emissions :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put that in your camaro and SMOKE IT! I would not be able to afford the tires that thing would burn up. It would be great fun though. :clap:

Just thinking here, :ponder: What about one of those 1992 Syclones. 4wd, AWD.
Hmm, must move on to something else, I am seriously thinking about trying to find those guys. :duck:

Love that video, Thanks.

Sam

It is an Evinrude 300xp. They made them in the late 80's maybe into the early 90's can't remember. I used to hang around at a boat shop my friend worked at and the owners son had one on a boat that was not designed to have the weight or horspower this thing put out.:eek2:

Put that in your camaro and SMOKE IT! I would not be able to afford the tires that thing would burn up. It would be great fun though. :clap:

Just thinking here, :ponder: What about one of those 1992 Syclones. 4wd, AWD.
Hmm, must move on to something else, I am seriously thinking about trying to find those guys. :duck:

Love that video, Thanks.

Sam
Put it in an old Honda Pilot. :sun:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2wQmPrOprE"]Jumping The FL400 - YouTube[/ame]

Or maybe one of these...:trust:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13rELGs_ZLE"]Custom Long Travel Insane Jumps and Hill Climb! - YouTube[/ame]

:rofl: :clap:

Yeah how much and what kind of shape is it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to get some pictures taken soon. This scoot is a real find as it has been stored inside my friends climate controlled shop since 1976. I have a Texas title and I got an ignition key made as his ex-wife threw it away.
I found out from the Belton sale this last weekend that by far most folks don't want to make an offer even when they are looking at an item. I'll get back with y'all soon. If someone can text me later today on my cel, I can send a couple of photos. Thanks, HB

Back