• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GS can do!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
This one looks staged. Look at the front tire. It is turned out, like it would be if it were about to tuck and slide. There's also almost no deformation of the front tire from the weight of the bike at the contact point. Also, the pegs usually touch first, then the bags, and finally the engine guard. When the guard hits, that is usually followed almost immediately by the front or rear losing traction and a crash. MotoGP bikes with HOT and STICKY tires max out around 60-61 degrees of lean. That guy looks like he's at about the same angle, if not more. The GS can lean a LONG way, even on the TKCs, but not like a MotoGP bike. His guard looks like it is on the ground. I suspect the bike is resting on the crash bar and bags, or he could be in the process of going down... :uhoh:

I wore holes through the lower leading corners of my Jesse bags on my 1150 GS and removed a good 1/4" or more of metal from the bottom outside of the foot pegs. The big never squirmed or acted like it was going to let loose. When things got tight and twisty, I'd rather have been on my 1150 GS than on a sport bike. It was very easy to ride smoothly and quickly because of the great handling.

In Arkansas running about 75 mph (look at the front tire squishing under the load). The peg was maybe 3/4" off the ground. I had to pull my toes in because they started scraping (early warning for peg down).
DSC04393.jpg

This one looks staged. Look at the front tire. It is turned out, like it would be if it were about to tuck and slide. There's also almost no deformation of the front tire from the weight of the bike at the contact point. Also, the pegs usually touch first, then the bags, and finally the engine guard. When the guard hits, that is usually followed almost immediately by the front or rear losing traction and a crash. MotoGP bikes with HOT and STICKY tires max out around 60-61 degrees of lean. That guy looks like he's at about the same angle, if not more. The GS can lean a LONG way, even on the TKCs, but not like a MotoGP bike. His guard looks like it is on the ground. I suspect the bike is resting on the crash bar and bags, or he could be in the process of going down... :uhoh:

I wore holes through the lower leading corners of my Jesse bags on my 1150 GS and removed a good 1/4" or more of metal from the bottom outside of the foot pegs. The big never squirmed or acted like it was going to let loose. When things got tight and twisty, I'd rather have been on my 1150 GS than on a sport bike. It was very easy to ride smoothly and quickly because of the great handling.

In Arkansas running about 75 mph (look at the front tire squishing under the load). The peg was maybe 3/4" off the ground. I had to pull my toes in because they started scraping (early warning for peg down).
DSC04393.jpg
Maybe not a legit comment but the headlight isn't shining on the big GS (knee draggin pic) like the others

Last edited:

mlinkibikr

Forum Supporter
I think the old Honda Silver Wings had the traverse V configuration. Trying to get those air cooled jugs out in the wind is the idea, now it's just the iconic design as BMW does with the water cooled boxers.

I still have a weak spot for the Guzzi's, owned an old LeMans III for a while. Wish I still had it, although the memories of it's beat up electrical system still haunt me. Didn't know they did the Dakar, but they are reliable as a tractor.

Dave.

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
Who's going to be the first to try the new GS 1250?

[ame="https://youtu.be/5WgugJQmRJA"]BMW R1250GS vs R1200GS | How much better is the new bike? - YouTube[/ame]

I think the old Honda Silver Wings had the traverse V configuration. Trying to get those air cooled jugs out in the wind is the idea, now it's just the iconic design as BMW does with the water cooled boxers.

I still have a weak spot for the Guzzi's, owned an old LeMans III for a while. Wish I still had it, although the memories of it's beat up electrical system still haunt me. Didn't know they did the Dakar, but they are reliable as a tractor.

Dave.
The new boxers are still air cooled cylinders. Only the heads are water cooled.

No, the oil is back to primarily lubrication duties. Coolant now circulates in place of the oil cooling in the oil heads. Only Harley Davidson gives you choice on some models between oil and liquid cooling.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Dressed for Starbucks, mx boots and all. Not sure why he's not standing. Lol
3b21b538f605b0463e2899d3712eec4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
They crash pretty spectacularly too...

0492714b0aaa629e0689173bc2837ee9.jpg

Honestly...pretty impressed with it. We tackled some pretty tough terrain at speed and I was annoying my riding buddies by constantly saying how amazed I was with what it (and their Sup Ten's as well) could do.

Bikes are way more capable than their riders for the most part....this crash probably was asking a bit too much. Off camber downhill on gravel at 50 exceeded both rider and machine capability. But I almost pulled it off.... :)

Last edited:

StromXTc

Forum Supporter
2wheel...glad it was a "easy off" (Vs, ground up under the bike). You had all your gear on that protected you :thumb:

I like to lower my tire pressure to the mid to upper 20s which helps me tremendously on sketchy loose Terrain, but of course that looks like pure marbles . Like you said too hot to handle with that speed And all that mass just wants to kick out.

misterk

Forum Supporter
They crash pretty spectacularly too...

0492714b0aaa629e0689173bc2837ee9.jpg

Honestly...pretty impressed with it. We tackled some pretty tough terrain at speed and I was annoying my riding buddies by constantly saying how amazed I was with what it (and their Sup Ten's as well) could do.

Bikes are way more capable than their riders for the most part....this crash probably was asking a bit too much. Off camber downhill on gravel at 50 exceeded both rider and machine capability. But I almost pulled it off.... :)
ouch......where were you guys at?

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
ouch......where were you guys at?
On Albert Pike trail, Arkansas.

Road was great overall. It looked like that section had been recently repaired, lots of gravel.

I did it just fine on Saturday at similar speed but obviously I took a better line or saw it just a bit sooner and shaved some speed.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
2wheel...glad it was a "easy off" (Vs, ground up under the bike). You had all your gear on that protected you :thumb:

I like to lower my tire pressure to the mid to upper 20s which helps me tremendously on sketchy loose Terrain, but of course that looks like pure marbles . Like you said too hot to handle with that speed And all that mass just wants to kick out.
From a trip up there earlier this year with some of these guys, yes that is marbles. It's very sketchy.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
If you want, no problem.

I'm just glad it turned out ok and I was able to ride it out of there afterwards.

Last edited:
If you're looking to hone your skills, try visiting RAWHYDE. They put on some amazing training, I've been to the Castaic, CA course and it was a blast, and learned a lot. I can do more things on my GS than a lot of dual sport riders can do on their dirt bikes and I owe it to the training and practice time.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
The height didn't bother me, but sure is sketchy.
Yep.... definitely not confidence inspiring, but certainly passable and you really don't need much skill except to not freak out. :)

I might do that, but I don't think I'd want the privilege of going first...:whatever:
Same here. Given the choice of riding across that or spending a few hours to find another spot to cross....I'd ride across.

Now...if it was only 10 minutes to the other crossing.....I'd probably spend the extra 10 minutes.

Now...if it was raining and wet..... I think I would decline that particular challenge.

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter
Thought for sure this thing would float!
Some people need to remember they're on a motorcycle that can lean and ride around stuff if you keep your speed up.

You've got to ride the berm around that kind of thing...you wouldn't even get the tire wet if you did.