• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayer for Zac Chapman - family needs help

Zac had his ENT appt this morning at 10:30. We didn't leave until 1:00. They performed a hearing test on Zac and he has profound hearing loss in the left ear and has moderate hearing loss in the right ear. The Dr. feels the damage/loss is permanent. There is nothing they can do for the hearing loss in the left ear, but are looking at what could be done for the right ear.

Zac said that his shoulders are very sore from therapy. He had a difficult time lifting his left arm up to point at letters when we couldn't read his lips today. He did very well with speech therapy today!
Zac did very well with the speaking valve today. He tolerated wearing it for 45 minutes and his speech quality is improved with the speaking valve. He did so well that they deflated the cuff on his trach today. The speech therapist said that if he tolerates this and can tolerate it being deflated for about 2 weeks, they will change his trach to one without a cuff. Next week, the speech therapist is going to increase the amount of time that Zac wears the speaking valve. If he can tolerate this well and keeps progressing, Zac will be getting closer to getting the trach out!!
Tomorrow in physical therapy they are going to try and stand Zac in the parallel bars. This is something that Zac wants to try. Zac is wanting his therapy to be more agressive, he has goals and is wanting to achieve them. He wants to eat, drink, walk, and go home. The Lord has already brought Zac this far and I believe He is not finished with him yet :)

This was from Sat. 5-29-10

Here we are on the roller coaster again... Zac had to be taken to the ER yesterday. He is in ICU with left upper lobe pneumonia and fluid around his heart and around the lungs. Cultures from his blood and sputum are both growing buggies. Please pray for him!! Even though Zac was not feeling well yesterday, he did stand up in the parallel bars with assistance!!!!!
This is from today:
Here in ICU with Zac. I got a call on my way over from his lung Dr. stating that he was going to have to drain fluid from around Zac's lungs. I got here and they were still doing the procedure. The Dr. removed a liter of fluid; it will be sent to the lab and tested to see if it is infected.
The cardiologist came by and said an echocardiogram showed that there was little to no fluid around Zac's heart, but that his lining of the heart was starting to thicken. He will start Zac on an anti-inflammatory medication for a month and then do a repeat echo.

Zac was transferred out of icu yesterday into a regular room. He is still a little swollen in his arms and feet, but the Dr feels this will go away in time. The Dr's also feel that Zac may get to return to the Courtyards tomorrow or the day after. It appears Zac was "septic" and they THINK that his recent surgery could have contributed to causing this. Will we ever really know? All I know is my kid is a fighter!!!!

Zac was transferred out of icu yesterday into a regular room. He is still a little swollen in his arms and feet, but the Dr feels this will go away in time. The Dr's also feel that Zac may get to return to the Courtyards tomorrow or the day after. It appears Zac was "septic" and they THINK that his recent surgery could have contributed to causing this. Will we ever really know? All I know is my kid is a fighter!!!!

And so you are too, Zac'sMOM!!! God bless you and your family.

:tab Wow... busy week! We will be praying about the hearing regardless of what the Doc's believe. We will also continue to pray about the trach removal, defeat of the various infections, reduction of fluids and inflammations. It is great to see that Zac is fighting so hard. We will pray that he does not get discouraged if his progress does not keep pace with his expectations/desires.

Well, it seems that the Courtyards won't take Zac back while he is on antibiotics this time. So, the choices are 1) he stays in the hospital the remainder of the course of his antibiotics, which is until the 13th 2) possibly going to an LTAC like he was in before when he first came back to Texas 3) returning to Baylor in Dallas if they will accept him on antibiotics.
Zac does not like being in the hospital, so this is not his first choice. All along this journey when God seems to be shutting one door, He is actually opening another door. Zac and I talked about how this may be God shutting a door to guide him through the next door.

we'll pray that he ends up where he needs to be ;-)

I'm just posting these for Jenny, I'm sure she has her hands full:

6-7

The person from BIR came to assess Zac today. She will not have an answer for us until tomorrow if BIR will take Zac while he is still on the antibiotics. We already know they want him back, it's just if they will take him while he is getting the I.v. antibiotics.

Zac is not doing as well today. They switched his sleeping meds and gave him Ambien. He is not moving as well today and he is "hung over". His heart rate is also up. Not one of his better days :(

Ok, after Zac spiked a temp of 103, they did a repeat chest xray and a CT scan of the chest. Lungs look good, heart looks good. So, they determined that a (i.v.) line that was put in his right groin area, that has been in there since he came in through ER, has been in too long and was a risk for infection. It was removed today. They feel this is what caused his fever and other problems today.

6-8

Zac is still running a temp and not feeling well. Baylor has said they will gladly take him back when he is finished with his antibiotics. So, looks like Zac will be in the hospital through Sunday. The plan is for Zac to return to the Courtyards so that we can take him back to Dallas to see his neurosurgeon. Zac still does not have any movement on the right side of his face.

We need the neurosurgeon to tell us if there is something that can be done to fix this. If there is something (surgery) that can be done, we need him to tell us if it is something that SHOULD be done or should be waited on. If there is nothing that can/should be done now, Zac will return to BIR in Dallas. Please pray with us for God's guidance in all of these matters!!!

If anyone can help stay some with Zac, there is a great need for this. Please call me or text me.

via Jenny

Father God,
There are so many needs today..
But Zac and Jenny especially need
you today Lord, this very minute.
Please comfort them, heal them and
strengthen them for your work yet
to be done. Guide Zac's care givers
hands and give Jenny the break she
needs to continue to serve you and
Zac. We ask this in Jesus Holy Name.
Amen

Yuliya,
Thank you so much for posting from my facebook page for me!
Zac is still in the hospital and has been transferred to a different building/room so that he can get a little more attention. His Dad is the one that is requesting the help sitting with Zac. I am still working 3 days a week and then spending 2 days a week during the day with Zac. Thank all of you for your continued well wishes, prayers, and support. It gives Zac and I encouragement :)

Zac is still "hanging in the hospital". Although he is pretty tired of being in the hospital, he is doing better and is making great progress towards getting that trach out! He has been tolerating the speaking valve so well that today the lung Dr. said that his trach could be capped.
Capping his trach makes Zac breath through his mouth and nose only. If he can continue to tolerate his trach being capped, he will be close to having his trach removed. However, this does not mean that he is safe to eat or drink yet. His swallowing will still have to improve, but if he is this close to getting the trach out, he should be closer to a Wendy's frosty :)

Attachments

• zac working the ipad.jpg
    zac working the ipad.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 152
Day 3 of Zac having his trach capped, and a repeat swallow study. This time, Zac did better on pudding consistency so they are approving pureed food trials!!! This means that Zac is allowed pureed foods, or things the consistency of pudding, in the presence of the speech therapist only.
Zac was so funny, when he heard the good news he immediately told me what kind of pudding to go buy him at the store. He says he understands that he can only eat this with the speech therapist, but he still wants to eat HIS flavor of pudding:) I told him there better not be any boot-legging of pudding into his room!!!

Great to hear the news,Ive been away awhile but think about y'all often.Prayers continue.

Today, Zac ate applesauce. He says he ate about 6-7 spoonfuls. The pulmonologist came by Zac's room about 10:30 last night. He said that after Zac has been capped for 48 hours around the clock, with no problems, that they will remove his trach. So, if all goes well, Zac should have his trach out on Thursday!!!!
I thank God for this day. I thank God that Zac is getting his trach out and that he is eating. When I saw Zac today, he said he would like mashed potatos with gravy. I called the speech therapist and left a voicemail for her. I hope they can honor Zac's request for what he gets to eat tomorrow. Of course, Zac also asked me if he could have a roll to go with the mashed potatos and gravy :) (Not yet son)

Well, they brought Zac mashed potatos and gravy today and he ate 5 spoonfuls!! He said tomorrow they will bring him more. I got his requested pudding up there and I told him to tell the speech therapist that he wants some mashed potatos and gravy AND then some pudding. He said he would tell her. The plan is to remove his trach around 8:00 in the morning!!!!!!!!!

Back