• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Short trail rides

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
My part-time boss and riding partner just got back into riding 3 years ago. Started on 450, he was 6'5" and 300 #'s. He quickly learned that at 58 he wasn't ready for 450's in the woods. Went with 250 4T and being a very competitive guy started losing weight. He got down to around 220# and got back to his old glory. When he first got back on he quit after 4 or 5 miles. Now he's beating guys I never thought he could.

Anyway point of story, he stills has 4-5 250's and a 125YZX. But he recently went back to the new Honda 450RX which is a totally new bike this year. He is now ready for the big bike and is really riding it well. I want to take him to Cycleland and see how the 450 does with a little more technical and slower riding. Should be interesting to find out.

I was carrying a good pace yesterday(for me), but no doubt I could squirt a little faster between turns on the 450. No faster on it through turns and the question would it wear be out charging corners a little harder. Trade off might not be worth it.

Reaction score
The "squirt" between turns is fun but also creates the need for harder braking in most woods turns which leads to fatigue. Fighting thru unknown woods turns is quite different than flowing thru mx track turns when you know exactly what you will see every time. An open class bike in the chewed up, chopped up, rooted up, rutted up, holed up, timbered up trails at C-Land is a real handful. And if it is a stall prone 4stk, even worse. In my experience at least.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
The "squirt" between turns is fun but also creates the need for harder braking in most woods turns which leads to fatigue. Fighting thru unknown woods turns is quite different than flowing thru mx track turns when you know exactly what you will see every time. An open class bike in the chewed up, chopped up, rooted up, rutted up, holed up, timbered up trails at C-Land is a real handful. And if it is a stall prone 4stk, even worse. In my experience at least.
You are correct. But 450's are fun, lol.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Doing some practice laps on my 7 mile loop at KP. Perfect weather, still very dry.
20201119_115902.jpg

Reaction score
I could have been there eating your dust had I known. But you probably start too early for me. How do you get to that trail head off of 1375?

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Got there at 1130. Take 1375 west, across Lake. Turn left at Stubblefield rd. There's signs.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Too pretty of a day to work. Wish I was riding.

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan

woodsguy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rob