• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What did you do in the garage today?

How easy is the Ranger to do? Cause in the XJ it's a 2 day job if you're doing it in 8 hour shifts.

In the 1st gen. Rangers like mine, it's about 45 minutes if you're going slowly. 5 screws hold the cover on the bottom of the air ducts passenger side, pull the heater lines, push the connections back to the cab, wiggle it out, wiggle in the new, connect and seal it up. Like the guys on The Ranger Station said, Gen1 good, Gen2 and beyond very very bad.

The hardest part about doing that in the Beemer was getting the drivers seat out so I could lay on my back to access it. Still a little less than an hour.

The 2007 Econoline 250 my friend has for his company that I've done all the work on, has the dreaded vent vacuum failure. A hack posted online didn't work, and getting in the dash requires C4 and a sawzall, so the dash cover over the vent vacuum thingies is off, and you do it manually.
It ain't pretty, but it works.

Not sure why they hide serviceable parts like that. The fuel pump in YJs TJs, and later XJs is a good example. Up until 96 the fuel pump on the XJ was front mounted. It was on a 90 degree assembly and you have tons of space to remove it from the front of the tank without dropping the tank or doing any other shenanigans. In 97 they moved it to the top of the tank with a "lifetime" top mounted combination filter/regulator. A common shortcut is to hack a square hole in the cargo area and turn that into a hatch. Then you can remove the assembly that way. TJ and YJ guys do this as well. I'm not a big fan of that but most aren't willing to go though the time/effort of dropping a full tank of fuel for a 10 minute replacement.

In the 1st gen. Rangers like mine, it's about 45 minutes if you're going slowly
Nice. My Toyota pickup was about like that too. A/C evap coil was siamesed to it but could be separated for removal.

Most GM cars and trucks are assembled around the heater core. The heater core is the first thing that comes down the assembly line. The rest of the vehicle is assembled around it.

Nice. My Toyota pickup was about like that too. A/C evap coil was siamesed to it but could be separated for removal.

Most GM cars and trucks are assembled around the heater core. The heater core is the first thing that comes down the assembly line. The rest of the vehicle is assembled around it.
Like a Norton Commando. The frame is attached to the horn, and everything else follows. It is impossible to get to the horn without removing the engine and rear fender.

Hey, there's a garage in the picture, sue me!

11 19 230nt.jpg

I put a new door seal on the 12 ft bay door. It was not as easy as shown in the video

Now that I know they work, I'll order 4 more for the back bay doors.

The originals seals are ~15 year old, hard, rat-gnawed and not keeping dust out of shop

Yesterday was a busy day at my airpoport, as it was really pleasant, and almost zero wind! I got a call from Gary out of San Angelo, who let me know he was headed to Bruce Field to fly his paramotor. I am pretty much the ONLY airport Mgr who will allow them to fly, and in fact, welcome them!

When I got there, I could see a Suburban and paramotor rig, but didn't really remember Gary's rig being that color...........................I parked the van, got on the bike, and rode over to find who turned out to be Paul!! I quickly informed him that he was NOT Gary, a fact that he was already aware of! Turns out Paul actually lives in ballinger, and recently moved here. I let him know about Gary, who showed up about 30 minutes later!

I watched Gary and Paul go about their flying, and then Alex and his family showed up and took off in the 180 for Corsicana! I didn't get any of the projects I was planning on doing in the shop/hangar, but had lots of fun relaxing on the flight line!! I even discussed the likelihood of having a paramotor fly-in/meet next year, as the only airport that was available for them was in Luling, and the city closed it last year!

The new Rekluse clutch is the best upgrade you could EVER do to a motorcycle, hands down! This clutch is AMAZING!! I haven't towed the Tag a Long trailer with it yet, but can already tell it won't have any issues at all

Attachments

• 20231122_160303.jpg
    20231122_160303.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20231122_153532.jpg
    20231122_153532.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231122_163641.jpg
    20231122_163641.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 49
I adjust mine once a year to keep it perfect but mine is on a dirty bike and does get abused occasionally , and yes , by far the best motorcycle accessory ever .

Yesterday was a busy day at my airpoport, as it was really pleasant, and almost zero wind! I got a call from Gary out of San Angelo, who let me know he was headed to Bruce Field to fly his paramotor. I am pretty much the ONLY airport Mgr who will allow them to fly, and in fact, welcome them!

When I got there, I could see a Suburban and paramotor rig, but didn't really remember Gary's rig being that color...........................I parked the van, got on the bike, and rode over to find who turned out to be Paul!! I quickly informed him that he was NOT Gary, a fact that he was already aware of! Turns out Paul actually lives in ballinger, and recently moved here. I let him know about Gary, who showed up about 30 minutes later!

I watched Gary and Paul go about their flying, and then Alex and his family showed up and took off in the 180 for Corsicana! I didn't get any of the projects I was planning on doing in the shop/hangar, but had lots of fun relaxing on the flight line!! I even discussed the likelihood of having a paramotor fly-in/meet next year, as the only airport that was available for them was in Luling, and the city closed it last year!

The new Rekluse clutch is the best upgrade you could EVER do to a motorcycle, hands down! This clutch is AMAZING!! I haven't towed the Tag a Long trailer with it yet, but can already tell it won't have any issues at all
First time I rode a bike with one I laughed in my helmet as I rode off. Worked very well. Almost bought one for my Vstrom.

Day before yesterday I swapped the rear springs on the YJ. Nearly 30 years of wear and unknown number of miles with an automatic locker in theback had taken it's toll. They had a slight "S" shape towards the frame end mount and when loaded with camping gear had a negative arch. These should have a nice ride height once worn in. My new front springs get here tomorrow.

There's a garage involved. Get the kleenex now. 99.99% of ads suck. This one does not.

I had that year of Suburban. That ad would make me go buy a Chevy if I could.

Suburban & Escalade owners get the benefit of the rear A/C, thanx to my Dad who designed it, built the prototype (in our early 2-door Suburban with the flip-up passenger seat to get people into the rear seat(s)), and GAVE the design to GM thru my grandfather (Mom's Dad) who was a Chevy dealer since the 50s.

I can't imagine feeding the one I had these days. It had a huge gas tank and the 396 engine. No AC, and it would haul the mail!

Had a new 93 suburban 3/4T and 454 engine, was a great tow vehicle. If you could afford the fuel. And the replacement engine at about 70K after it dropped a valve.

Just realized our family Chevy dealership lasted 70 YEARS! My uncle (cousins, really) just sold it 2 years ago, along with a Nissan dealership they had for 30 years. They also had Dodge/Chrysler for many years in the 60s-80s. No more good deals for me...

There's a garage involved. Get the kleenex now. 99.99% of ads suck. This one does not.

yeah, kleenix. We met as a family in western TN at a VRBO rental house on Kentucky Lake. It discombobulated my Dad. Thursday night, he told my my Mom he was worried because he hadn't seen his wife for 4 days. The people he was with were nice, but why was he here. Needed to get back and talk to the Doc because he was going crazy. I wish I had a magic Suburban.

yeah, kleenix. We met as a family in western TN at a VRBO rental house on Kentucky Lake. It discombobulated my Dad. Thursday night, he told my my Mom he was worried because he hadn't seen his wife for 4 days. The people he was with were nice, but why was he here. Needed to get back and talk to the Doc because he was going crazy. I wish I had a magic Suburban.
Sorry to hear that. My dad was SO healthy (at 80+) Alzhelimer's too 13 years to do him in. "The Long Road Goodbye" is a tough road to travel, for EVERYONE.

Back