• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend Rally March 2nd to 5th 2023

Registered & paid. A couple friends likely soon. Hotel or cabin lodging recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

New here. A couple of years ago we took a detour thru BB and was thinking would be a great place to ride. Stumbled on this Rally from another site and signed up to make sure I don't miss it. I already have camping reservations at BB Resort. This appears to be ground zero.
Sweet. BB resort is right in the mix

We will be there! Me and my buddy are staying at chisos mining company motel Wednesday-sunday
Great less expensive cabins and cheaper basic motel rooms. Can't go wrong. Say hi to Barbara for me if you call! Fwiw, people also call this place the Easter Egg. Great central location. Barbara 432-294-3093

Added, Sunday, Boquillas....

Sunday, March 5th
7:00 am Breakfast at Posado Milagro in the ghost town.
8:00 am Tow vehicle trip to east end of NP
9:00 am NEW: BOQUILLAS CROSSING TO MEXICO With your valid passport...cross into Mexico by jon boat for the day (9 TO 4) A little sampler platter of Mexico. Hot springs, canyon paddle trip, Mexican lunch. Blindly Guided and Hosted by MextrekADV, aka Peter. 100% safe and Mexico newb friendly. Mextrek sales pitch to happen at some point, haha.
4:00 PM Head Home

I’m unable to attend due to conflicting dates. The group that I ride with, all over 70, are planning a trip to Big Bend in late February. We have secured lodging in Terlingua, AirBnB rental. Looking for some information/ideas on roads/trails to ride. Some of my group will trailer in bikes ( 2 from SD and 1 from NM). 1 guy will fly from AK to AZ where he has a bike stored and ride in. I will ride or trailer depending on my weather. Anyone with experience in the area who is willing to give us some tips on where to ride? Thanks.

In. First timer to Big Bend. I'll be on a FE501.

I'd appreciate any preparation advice. I'm usually a "lets go for it and figure it out on the way" type.

I'm getting better though (older, don't heal as fast) and will heed RollinJ 's advice about preparation.

In. First timer to Big Bend. I'll be on a FE501.

I'd appreciate any preparation advice. I'm usually a "lets go for it and figure it out on the way" type.

I'm getting better though (older, don't heal as fast) and will heed RollinJ 's advice about preparation.
There is little to no choices when it comes to parts if you have a flat or mechanical. Try to anticipate what you may need (extra tubes/relays etc) and pack accordingly. Its a lot of fun and just ride a leisurely pace, don't go 100% down some of those unfamiliar trails as that's how a few guys got hurt last year. If you see a 690 and a 701 (with Mosko bags) feel free to wave us down and tag along if you'd like.

2023 Around the Bend Rally Registration Now Open:

Mar 2 - Mar 5, 2023

Terlingua, Texas

Around the Bend is an amazing and fun-filled 4-day motorcycle rally in the Big Bend region of Texas. For 2023 the rally is scheduled Thursday - Sunday, Mar 2 - 5, 2022. All riders are invited to attend on their street legal motorcycles.

You may notice I've added an optional day to the typical format. Wednesday night will include a new (and new to Big Bend) rider meet and greet cocktail hour on the front porch, and a seated dinner at the Starlight Theater.

Thursday will include a new rider orientation ride from 9 to 2 and an afternoon ghost town walkaround. Thursday night will resume the same basic schedule as in previous years.

What kind of rally is this? This motorcycle rally is predominately a dual sport adventure rally but it is open to anyone with a street legal motorcycle. Street-only, adventure, and dual sport riders are all invited to attend. Come by yourself or bring some friends. Ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come out early. Or stay a few days late. The main point is to have fun. Please note that there is no legal, public off-road riding in the Big Bend area so all motorcycles have to be properly tagged and registered.

What is riding like in the Big Bend region? There is both paved and unpaved riding all around the Big Bend area.

- Dual Sport and Adventure Riders Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to play in the dirt at Big Bend but just haven't made it yet, this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

- Dual sport riders: There are a number of primitive dirt roads in both BBNP and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Ranch). BBNP is the most popular riding choice for most because the dirt riding there is superb but The Ranch has some good stuff too. (Note that riding larger adventure bikes in The Ranch can be quite challenging due to the ruggedness of the roads.) ALSO YOU MUST HAVE PERMISSION OF A POATRI PROPERTY OWNER TO RIDE ANY ROAD IN THE RANCH. THIS SHOULD INCLUDE A FRANK DISCUSSION ABOUT SPEED LIMITS, NOISE, TRESPASSING, BEING NEIGHBORLY, AND AVOIDING WILDING! (Note, I am a property owner)

- Street riders There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed. For example, Hwy 170, aka "River Road", is one of the top 5 motorcycling roads in Texas

You can ride in Big Bend National Park (BBNP) and various other roads in the area. Some popular riding destinations for street-only riders are BBNP, Presidio, Fort Davis, Marfa, and Mexico (yes, Mexico).

There are also some excellent dirt roads across the border in Mexico too for those who want a bit more adventure.

If you've never been to Big Bend and would like a guide, indicate on the signup and add $25. Includes a Big Bend ride guide with planned routes & GPS tracks. The guide includes pavement-only routes and dual sport/adventure routes.

Is someone leading a ride one or both days? This year's event is a rally which means there are no planned routes that everyone will be riding. Instead, riders will self-organize into groups each morning and select where they want to ride that day.

I’ve never been to a rally before. If you have never attended a rally and don't know anyone, come on out anyway. We are a really friendly bunch of people and welcome new riders. You will easily be able to find a group to ride with. If you are an experienced dirt rider and need a group to ride with, just ask around - you will quickly find a suitable group to join. For those needing a group to ride with, we will be organizing riding groups immediately following the Friday morning riders meeting.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either but you will need your vehicle registration to ride into Mexico. On the Mexico side of the international bridge Mexican officials will stop you and compare the VIN of your motorcycle with the VIN on your vehicle registration to ensure they match. Once they have done so, they will wave you through. From there head south through Ojinaga on the main road and about 25 paved miles later you will arrive at the canyon overlook.

Bring your passport or passcard because US Customs will need to see it before they let you back into the United States.

Is it safe? Mexico sure is close, is the Big Bend area safe? Yes, it is safe. As of this writing all the border drug stuff you've been hearing about on the news has not been a serious issue in the Big Bend region.

OPTIONAL NEW RIDER EVENING
Wednesday, March 1st
5 PM to 7 PM New rider meet and greet, Front Porch
7 PM New rider dinner, Starlight Theater

OFFICIAL RALLY MARCH 2ND TO 5TH
Thursday, Mar 2nd
9 AM - 2 PM New Rider Ride, Top of the World
2 PM to 3 PM Ghosttown walk
4 PM TO 7 PM, High Sierra Bar & Grill Social and Rally Check In
7 PM Group Dinner at High Sierra

Friday, March 3rd
7 am, breakfast at the TBD
8:00 am, riders meeting TBD
8:00 - 5 pm, organize a group and ride wherever you want
5 pm - 7 pm, meet on the porch in Terlingua

Saturday, March 4th
7:00 am, breakfast at TBD
8:00 am, riders meeting at TBD
8:00 am - 5 pm, organize a group and ride wherever you want
6 pm - 10 pm group dinner at the Starlight Theater

Sunday, March 5th
7:00 am Breakfast at Posado Milagro inthe ghost town.
8:00 am Tow vehicle trip to east end of NP
9:00 am NEW: BOQUILLAS CROSSING TO MEXICO With your valid passport...cross into Mexico by jon boat for a day (9 TO 4 pm) A little sampler platter of Mexico. Hot springs, canyon paddle trip, Mexican lunch. Blindly Guided and Hosted by MextrekADV, aka Peter. 100% safe and Mexico newb friendly. Mextrek sales pitch to happen at some point, haha.
4:00 PM Head Home
would we be welcome to join the new rider dinner if this is our second ride? i wouldn't mind a refresher on everything.

Back