• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1 / 2016 Pic-A-Day

12/18/2016
The keys say it all...
Too dang cold once the front hit to venture outside so I played a bit with some old keyboard letters. Those who have been following will appreciate the message/humor.
i-sZwhhgW-XL.jpg

I have been counting down since Dec 1 . . .

12/19/2016
"Zilker Park Christmas Tree with a twist..."
A twist of the lens that is... Same tree/same location but three different looks. The top view is a shot from the base of the tree and you can see the "50" at the top for fifty years. The middle shot is the same focus point but a longer exposure and twisting the lens barrel as the exposure happens. The bottom shot is a much longer exposure (15 seconds) and rotating the camera on the tripod 360* over that 15 seconds.
i-nrX8M5M-XL.jpg

Last edited:
:tab I like the different shutter speed shots of the tree. You could have also done it by zooming during the exposure rather than spinning. I've not processed it yet, but a few weeks ago we were driving through a Christmas light display up in Missouri and we went through a long tunnel of lights. I was trying to drive and shoot at the same time so it is not as good as I had hoped, but I shot down through the length of the tunnel and then zoomed over about a 2 second exposure. It really gives the feels of zooming through the tunnel! We had other cars behind us so I didn't have time to really play with it as I would have liked.

:tab The skyline shot is cool in the B&W. It kind of has a TRON look to it :thumb:

:tab I like the different shutter speed shots of the tree. You could have also done it by zooming during the exposure rather than spinning. I've not processed it yet, but a few weeks ago we were driving through a Christmas light display up in Missouri and we went through a long tunnel of lights. I was trying to drive and shoot at the same time so it is not as good as I had hoped, but I shot down through the length of the tunnel and then zoomed over about a 2 second exposure. It really gives the feels of zooming through the tunnel! We had other cars behind us so I didn't have time to really play with it as I would have liked.

:tab The skyline shot is cool in the B&W. It kind of has a TRON look to it :thumb:

The second shot in the triptych is the same as you described. I had a 24-70 zoomer on the body and as the exposure was happening I zoomed from 70 back down towards 24. That's how that effect was done.

And thanks - the B&W looked much better than the purple hues from the center/primary building

Wow, this an original shot? Impressive.

Dennis - Yes! I've been told several times by folks "why don't you just shoot two today", or "nobody will know if you pull an archive shot". Well, I'll know and that wouldn't be in the spirit of "Project 366 - A Picture A Day".

This was captured last night and is actually a full size diorama at Camp Mabry here in Austin. I setup the camera on a tripod and framed the shot. Then using Cactus triggers with a speedlight for a lighting source, and with a remote trigger I was able to leave the camera in one spot while I moved to the other end of the diorama and could play with lighting angles/settings and shoot from there. I was really liking how I was getting the shadow outline for this one. Normally, I don't like a back shadow but it works for this shot. The color version looked good, but too colorful. So I tried a couple different things like a 'bleach bypass' which mutes the colors and it was better - like old film days. Then I looked at it for what it was - a gritty environmental war shot. With that, B&W was the solution. A few applications of grit, scratches and here is the shot for yesterday.

Man - only nine days to go. Thanks for following.

Last edited:
I like the back shadow. It almost looks like a second subject, with its own "mood". It reminds me of the drawings where the shadow is expressing the inner state of a person that is not externally visible.

I like the back shadow. It almost looks like a second subject, with its own "mood". It reminds me of the drawings where the shadow is expressing the inner state of a person that is not externally visible.
Yes, the shadow is more sad, downward focused.

Headshot!

Yeah..... He wanted a new LinkedIn headshot so I obliged. That black hair is tough on a black background. I could have pulled him farther away from the backdrop in order to place a hair/rim light directly behind him but I would have had to move the other lights. (I had one camera left oblique behind him as it was) He saw it as we were shooting and said "That'll do"! Done.

I would not have a hair problem with a black background...

Back