• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ADV Gravel Riders - What Tires?

Rocks, gravel caliche etc? It's currently wearing a TKC80 which I have confidence in in my riding sphere.
Surprisingly well for the tread pattern. As the terrain gets looser and deeper, the TKC80 would do better, but on the standard rock/gravel roads, the Trailmax is really good.

I have a Mitas rear on my BMW 1200GS. I guess its the E07 + tire. It’s not wearing as long as I expected based on reviews. Since I acquired the KTM 790, I’m planning to go back to a 90/10 tire on the GS at the next change and use the 790 for all my dirty work.

Surprisingly well for the tread pattern. As the terrain gets looser and deeper, the TKC80 would do better, but on the standard rock/gravel roads, the Trailmax is really good.
Ah ok, good to know, thank you

Pics and exact mileage please. 2k miles and "wearing out" is dang near impossible unless you do burn outs everytime you ride.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This. I'm surprised you can wear it out that quickly, isn't this a 7-9k miles tire?

This. I'm surprised you can wear it out that quickly, isn't this a 7-9k miles tire?
10-12k miles for me. And I've never got more than 6k from a Shinko E805 rear tire.

10-12 out of an E-07+ or original E-07 Dakar?

10-12 out of an E-07+ or original E-07 Dakar?
Original E-07 Dakars with the ones pulled off at 10k still with some life remaining.

E-07+ Dakar I'm expecting to get 10k miles. I have two on hand but still two originals I will use first unless a BDR ride is planned then I will mount a +

Original E-07 Dakars with the ones pulled off at 10k still with some life remaining.

E-07+ Dakar I'm expecting to get 10k miles. I have two on hand but still two originals I will use first unless a BDR ride is planned then I will mount a +

I have NEVER gotten anywhere close to the miles you claim to get. I see other folks with the same claims, so I don't doubt you. I just have NO CLUE how you do it. My experience on two VFR 800s, was about 5-6K on a rear, 8-9K on a front for street tires. When I changed to an 02 1150 GS, 05 1200 GS, 07 1200 GS and now my 17 1200 GS, the experience has been the same. For the tires like Anakees, Tourances, etc,... that are more street oriented, I get mileage about like I got on the VFRs. When I switch to tires like the TKC 80, Shinko 805, or now the E07, I am lucky to get 2.5-3K miles at best if I baby them. I get about 5-6K out of a front. I generally run these tires at 32-36 psi front and 38-42psi on the rear. I don't go 100 mph everywhere I go and I rarely travel with lots of luggage. I usually cruise at 75mph in a 70 zone, even when on back roads. At best I might have one of my kids and my top case.

Now I am not one of those people that will run a tire bald, especially the more dirt oriented tires. When the tires get down to the wear bars, I usually change them at the first opportunity. Maybe that last bit beyond the wear bars lasts forever? :shrug:

I can't speak to longevity of many of these tires, but on the ones I've used, I tend to be in the short end of expected life. I don't run them bald. I enjoy the throttle. I'm relatively easy on the front brake. I eat rear tires and get decent mileage from front tires.

By current Africa Twin setup if a TKC80 front and a Motoz GPS rear is doing good. I've about 4000 miles on the rear and any 200 more on the front. The GPS has between half and one third tread remaining. The TKC80 is probably part halfway gone. I expect the rear to outlast the front, a personal first.

For you guys that want something with a little more bite without giving up life, look at a Motoz GPS rear tire. It's going to be at least a 6000 mile tire for me.

Now I am not one of those people that will run a tire bald, especially the more dirt oriented tires. When the tires get down to the wear bars, I usually change them at the first opportunity. Maybe that last bit beyond the wear bars lasts forever? :shrug:

This is part of what I suspected also, hence asking for a photo. I do use up all the rubber. I have two rear wheels so I swap back and forth (10 minutes) depending on length of trip and tire that remaining life best fits that distance.

Also the center strip on the original E-07 is not the wear bar. But I've known some that treat it as such and report low miles accordingly.

How many miles do you get from a Shinko 805? That would somewhat baseline us as I always got 6k miles or less. Great tire but I got tired of bent rims, flats and frequent tire changes. Also requires an enroute tire change on my longer trips.

My rear is doing fantastic, almost no wear in 500 miles

Attachments

• 20200609_155754282_iOS.jpg
    20200609_155754282_iOS.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 188
Like 2200

I don't doubt that but what is not known is how many "potential miles" were remaining on the tire when you changed it? Apples to oranges I suspect same as for TM, so would like to see photos of these tires. That way people can gauge expected mileage based on how far down they run their tires. I will take some photos when I get home and post. All my old photos are currently held hostage by Photobucket.

Here is an old post with a pic from JMZ. He had aprox 13,000 on this E-07 dakar. He shows a cross section of how much rubber was still there. Yes the center tread doesn't offer much grip off-road but if the terrain is soft the side lugs grab enough to carry you trough most situations.

First tire photo is 11,602 miles and currently on the bike. Done for offroad but street or gravel I could get another 1-2k miles. If I needed to swap wheels for a longer ride than that I would not remount it though.

Second tire photo is my swap wheel with 5,503 miles on it. The cuts and slices are from my last trip to Big Bend riding rocky trails with ds bikes. I actually got this tire used. Purchased front and rear set with 3k miles for $50.

9074c231fa6b677d1917807f2d7d639c.jpg
bb76c66bdf7f96cb1e5de25ff904f2b1.jpg

What you call "potential miles," I call "likely flats."
On Shinko's definitely. Got multiple flats on every one of those tires I ran. Be it thorns, sharp rocks or nails/screws. I had one flat immediately pop the bead while cornering on RR335, now that was scary. On Mitas Dakars, nope. Only one flat in over 120k miles and that was from a metal shanked husbandry hypodermetic needle. Diameter of a 6 penny nail. Smoked the tire riding 75mph until I realized was flat and then could stop. The bead was still holding tight on the rim. Dakar's are one tough tire, basically a ride flat if need be, just not at high speed.

That is my experience also with the dakar series tires. I rode the one that is on the bike now about 20 miles flat when my valve stem was leaking. I only felt it in the corners so I stopped to see what was wrong. That's why I posted @JMZ cut away view to show how thick the carcass is.

That is my experience also with the dakar series tires. I rode the one that is on the bike now about 20 miles flat when my valve stem was leaking. I only felt it in the corners so I stopped to see what was wrong. That's why I posted @JMZ cut away view to show how thick the carcass is.
I had something like that on my Anakee Wild recently.

Went around a corner kinda fast and the traction control light flashed. I thought, "hmm, I wasn't going that fast I didn't think."

Rode another mile or two. Stopped at a stop sign and took off fast. Again, the TC light flashed. I bounced up and down on the seat and felt a little more bounce than usual.

Rode another couple miles and found some shade and pulled in. Sure enough. it was completely flat. Had I been going in a straight line at a moderate speed, I'm not sure when I would have noticed.

I had something like that on my Anakee Wild recently.

Went around a corner kinda fast and the traction control light flashed. I thought, "hmm, I wasn't going that fast I didn't think."

Rode another mile or two. Stopped at a stop sign and took off fast. Again, the TC light flashed. I bounced up and down on the seat and felt a little more bounce than usual.

Rode another couple miles and found some shade and pulled in. Sure enough. it was completely flat. Had I been going in a straight line at a moderate speed, I'm not sure when I would have noticed.

The wild is a tire that I might try. I looked at them when they first came out and availability was limited.

9332 miles on a Mitas E07 Dakar. Waaaaay past my comfort zone. Actually, removed at 9332.

878af29a998a151072b45a6b0a645aa5-jpg.jpg

Back